x86 question: Can a process have > 3GB memory?

From: Clifford White (ctwhite@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 18:03:09 EST

We are working with a database that requires a large amount of memory
allocated by a single process.
This is on an Intel 32-bit platform.
We'd like to go > 3GB of memory per process.
Is this possible on a 32-bit machine? I have been reading the various
'highmem' discussions, but that's kernel page tables...
Or is this a glibc issue, and not proper for a kernel-list question?
Any pointers would be appreciated. The Intel ESMA (Extended Server Memory
Arch) page states that it's possible, but.....how?

cliffw
NUMA-Q
Technical Guy
1-503-578-4306