khttpd newbie problem

From: Dan Kegel (dank@kegel.com)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 10:48:34 EST

I'm having an oops with khttpd on an embedded 2.4.17 ppc405
system, so I thought I'd try it out on my pc. But I can't
get khttpd to serve any requests.

I built khttpd into the kernel with vanilla 2.4.17smp on
Intel on Red Hat 7.2, then turned it on as follows:

echo /home/dank/stress > /proc/sys/net/khttpd/documentroot
echo 80 > /proc/sys/net/khttpd/serverport
echo 8000 > /proc/sys/net/khttpd/maxconnect
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/khttpd/start

I also made sure there was an index.html in /home/dank/stress,
turned off the firewall, did /etc/init.c/ipchains restart,
and made sure netstat reported port 80 as listening.

But... when I try to fetch http://localhost/index.html,
it just sits there. Likewise, when I telnet to port 80,
even from a different machine, it just accepts bytes forever;
no matter what I type, it just echoes the bytes right back at me.

If I do
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/khttpd/stop
port 80 stops listening, and any open connections are closed.

I must be doing something silly... surely khttpd works?
Is it because I'm running SMP, perhaps?
- Dan