Re: The tainted message

From: Richard Thrapp (rthrapp@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 21:14:19 EST

Keith, I apologize for my rash words. I clicked send before I cooled
down, and I should know better. I care a lot about my work. I am
sorry.

On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 20:41, Keith Owens wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2002 20:27:07 -0500,
> Richard Thrapp <rthrapp@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 19:27, Keith Owens wrote:
> That is one of the many costs you have to bear for shipping binary only
> modules. I am not going to make life easier for you. In your original
> message to me you made no mention of the fact that you are shipping
> binary only modules, if I had know that in advance I would not have
> tried to help you, now you have no credibility with me.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was shipping a non-GPL module
(not binary-only). But that is not my only interest. I have given time
and thought to many open source projects. I genuinely wanted a more
informative error message.

> >At the very least, -please- change the verb tense of the message to be
> >correct. That will at least eliminate the "module doesn't load" bug
> >reports (I hope).
>
> The verb tense is correct. The message is issued before the module is
> loaded and descibes what is about to occur.

>From the point of view of the user, who sees the message after the
module is loaded, it is incorrect and implies that the module wasn't
loaded.

-- Richard Thrapp