gdb stopped working in 2.5.10 - works fine in 2.4.x

From: Jurriaan on Alpha (thunder7@xs4all.nl)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 07:57:36 EST

ALPHA :gdb ./angband
GNU gdb 5.1.1
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "alpha-linux"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/games/angband-2.9.7-alpha1/./angband
warning: Cannot insert breakpoint -2:
Cannot access memory at address 0xcc1088a823d9d62c
(gdb) q
The program is running. Exit anyway? (y or n) y
ALPHA :

the breakpoint with a negative number, followed by the message 'Cannot
access memory at ...' happens on any executable I try with gdb.

This didn't happen with the 2.4.x kernels, so I suspect something in
2.5.x. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jurriaan

--
After penetrating your skull the decibel storm of raucous riffs and
blistering glissandos starts rearranging the synapses in your brain.