RE: Initial process CPU state was Re: SSE related security hole

From: Saxena, Sunil (sunil.saxena@intel.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 17:07:13 EST

The correct sequence for initializing MMX/SSE/SSE2 CPU state (I exchanged
mail with Linus) is:

        memset(&fxsave, 0, sizeof(struct i387_fxsave_struct));
        fxsave.cwd = 0x37f;
        fxsave.mxcsr = 0x1f80;

        fxrstor(&fxsave);

The above is architectural feature and you can expect this to work in the
future. Intel will work to document this in our Monthly Specification
Updates and update "IA-32 Intel(R) Architecture Software Developer Manual"s.

Thanks
Sunil