Odd floppy behavior in 2.4.19-pre7-ac1

From: Steve Kieu (haiquy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 21:28:03 EST

Hi,

I found the problem when building my own floppy boot
disks. I use syslinux build disk 1 using the kernel
and disk 2 the root file system, The kernel has
evrything needed (fd driver built in, etc..;) and
usally it works no problem until I use 2.4.19-pre7-ac1
today.

Put the disk1, boot, it loads the kernel, when it
finished loading from floppy, the light in the floppy
is off, If I remove the floppy and after finishing
everything, the light in the floppy drive lits again
the I saw the messeage like: Floppy ... I/O error...,
then the light is off; then it asks to insert the
root disk. I insert the root disk and everything goes
fine.

But if I still put the disk 1 in the drive, of course
no I/O error message. It still asks to insert the root
floppy after the light lits and off. I remove the
disk1 ; put the second one, It says: RAM disk image
found at .... (as usuall) but it only read the floppy
aout 2 seconds, then stop reading. The light nos is
off and the kernel just stay at this forever, no
panic, no ooop .......

In short if I remove disk 1 immediately after it
finished loading the kernel ; there will be an error
message that it can not read from floppy and ask to
insert the root disk, and it goes as normal.

If I remain the disk1 until the kernel asks me to put
the root floppy disk, no error message ; but the
kernel can not or never finish loading the root disk.

Any one has the similar problem?

If more information ; pls email me

Regards,

=====
Steve Kieu

http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
- A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!