Re: BK, deltas, snapshots and fate of -pre...

From: Nicholas Harring (nharring@hostway.net)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 16:33:49 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Monday 22 April 2002 22:53, Doug Ledford wrote:

>>>What??? What kind of system are you running? Err... redhat supports
>>>cut and paste I thought. <-- funnny.
>>
>>Depends on what you use to read the file containing the URL. Obviously,
>>if I'm Al Viro I'm on a text console and wouldn't use a mouse if you
>>cemented it in my hand, so cut and paste isn't an option.
>

> Would everybody with no mouse on their system please stand up, and leave
> the room.
>
> Seriously, you're trolling.

>>>Bogus. You'd have to do the same to edit/list the file.
>>
>>No, I wouldn't. In one case I would do "less <filename>" and in the other
>>case I would do "less <filename>", ohh damn, it's only a pointer to the
>>real docs, switch to X or install lynx on my system, go to URL. It's a
>>matter of having the appropriate documentation at hand vs. having to
>>retrieve it.
>

> lynx <url>
>
> What's the difference?
The difference is that currently linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
currently exists and advocates the usage of diff. Linus no longer
prefers diff, he has made it clear he likes BK output.
Would it be acceptable to simply modify said file to include both
instructions for using diff, which I believe Linus has said he will
continue to accept, as well as to include basic commands for BK to get
output such as Linus wants emailed to him. No feature listing, no
advertising, no advocacy, just simple usage.