Re: Faster reboots (and a better way of taking crashdumps?)

From: Jeremy Jackson (jerj@coplanar.net)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 15:47:08 EST

for 2, the BIOS sets the hardware to a known state,
or if you can trigger *the* hardware reset line,
which will also do that, then you're going through
the BIOS again. Now if you made your own bios...
see www.linuxbios.org.

there are patches where a kernel can load another
kernel, also.

As for taking crashdumps on the way up, I believe
(SGI's ?) linux kernel crash dumps does *exactly*
this.

Jeremy