Re: Summary of KL133/KM133 problems w/2.4.18

From: Andre Pang (ozone@algorithm.com.au)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 20:31:56 EST

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 02:23:31PM -0500, Nilmoni Deb wrote:

> I just now discovered from http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=70
> that:
>
> KM133 => VT8365 northbridge _always_
> KL133 => VT8361 northbridge _OR_ VT8364 northbridge

Ah! Thanks for that ... viaarena.com should be definitive
(since it's an official site), and might solve the whole "my
motherboard has a VT836[1234567890xdeadbeef]" game for those
K?133 chipsets.

> Now (from kernel 2.4.18) linux-2.4.18/arch/i386/kernel/pci-pc.c has these
> comment lines:
>
> * VIA 8363,8622,8361 Northbridges:
> * - bits 5, 6, 7 at offset 0x55 need to be turned off
>
> It appears that ur patch doesnot affect chipsets with VT8361 northbridge.
>
> Basically, ur patch is applicable for all KM133 (VT8365) chipsets.
> But should it apply only to those KL133 chipsets with VT8364
> northbridge or to KL133 chipsets with VT8361 northbridge too ?

The patch should apply to all KL133 chipsets; from what you've
said, that appears to be the VT8361 and VT8364.

The KM133 (VT8365) is a less clear. From what I understand, it
has an integrated video card (ProSavage), but it also has an AGP
slot so that you can use your own video card if you like. We
_may_ want to clear bit 5 if we're not using the integrated
ProSavage. The only way to confirm this is to find somebody who
has a KM133 who is using an external video card, and see what the
Windows VIA drivers do. Any volunteers?

In general though, I think we should apply the same behaviour to
the KM133 that we're using for the KL133 -- leave bit 5 alone,
and don't clear it. All the VT836?s seem to have issues with
touching bit 5, anyway, with or without the integrated ProSavage.

> So, besides the issue of renaming two macros, this patch needs to decide
> which (or all) of the two types of KL133 chipsets is to be targeted.

The northbridge chipsets are already correctly detected (revision
IDs 0x81/0x84). I'm taking a guess that the VT8365 is revision
ID 0x84, and either the VT8361 or VT8364 is revision ID 0x81, but
I don't know which one. I'm not sure if finding out what's what
is that important (other than being a pedant with the macro
names), since we haven't hit anybody yet who has a KL133 with a
northbridge that is not a revision of 0x81.

In a nutshell, it's just the macro names and comments which need
to be clarified. (Not that they're any less important.) Thanks
for pointing out the disparity :).

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone@algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save