Re: [Cooker] (RFC) Supermount 2

From: Matthew D. Pitts (mpitts@suite224.net)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 09:54:07 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: <danny@mailmij.org>
To: <cooker@linux-mandrake.com>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Cooker] (RFC) Supermount 2

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Matthew D. Pitts wrote:
> >
> > I am starting to plan a new version of Supermount. I have some things I
want to try out in it, and I will list them in this message. I am willing to
accept any and all input on what I am wanting to call Supermount 2.
> > Planned features of Supermount 2:
> >
> > 1) Auto-detection of filesystem type.
> Meaning we will finally have CD-tracks visualized as WAV files? like CD-fs
> does? Same goes for multisession disks.

I will try to do that, though it may mean hacking into the isofs driver.

> > 2) Supermount modules for each filesystem type.
> How is this on performance (first check for fs type than loading module?
> than disk is removed, unloading module and loading another one?)

I haven't gotten that far, yet. How well it works depends a lot on how much
of the information about the disk can be read by Supermount 2 when the disk
is inserted.

> > 3) Built-in support for packet-writing. ( i.e. insert packet-writing
formatted disk and it loads appropriate kernel modules. )

> > There may be other features added if there is an interest in them. I
will need assistance with the packet-writing support. I am only planning to
do this for the 2.5.x and later kernels, so if anyone else wishes to
back-port it to an older kerenl series, by all means do so. I have wanted to
make some kind of contribution to this project for some time and I feel that
this is something that will be useful.

> What about doing it in userspace? I remember seeing Alan Cox writing he
> had a proof of concept of something like this on some ftp server (sorry,
> cannot remember where).

I am going to go over Alan's code when I have a decent machine to work
with...

> > I am going to be making my prelminary code available to whomever wishes
to see it once I get my Linux box back up.