USB MSDOS driver for Hard drive to boot UMSDOS?

From: M Sweger (mikesw@ns1.whiterose.net)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 10:15:55 EST

Hello,

I have a Dell optiplex GX1 333mhz with MSDOS 6.22 installed in one partion
with the rest being NT. I also have UMSDOS in one of the hard drive
partitions. I would like to move the UMSDOS linux from the IDE/SCSI hard
drive to an external USB hard drive. After moving it to the external
drive, I want to boot the UMSDOS linux from the external USB hard drive.
However, since I don't have any USB drivers for either of the controllers
which seem to be *.sys the system doesn't know to create and assign a disk
drive letter to the attached external drive.

I know there is a company that makes "USB4DOS" at http://www.catc.com but
most of these companies are geared to embedded systems. Their price is
$1k US for this driver. I haven't been able to find any USB driver for
MSDOS that is free. Nor a driver that is generic enough to be used with
any USB device whether it be v1.1 and/or v2.0 USB in an intel system.

Is there any USB MSDOS drivers that I can use so that I can boot and run
linux off my external USB hard drive?

I realize a work around is to use a linux boot floppy and mount the other
filesystems via the Linux USB driver to access my UMSDOS linux
system. However, everytime I change the kernel it requires making another
linux boot disk. :(

Thanks for any info.