max partition size

From: Michal Jaegermann (michal@harddata.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 02:50:37 EST

Who knows for sure what is the current upper limit on ext2/ext3
file system size (4KiB blocks as this is what tools will accept)? It
definitely is not 1 TB as we were making working partition nearly twice
that. But practice seems to indicate that 2 TB, or whereabout, can be
too much. Is this a property of a file system or we bumping into
block device boundaries or this are just tools?

BTW - mke2fs goes most of the way but gets stuck eventually when
writing inode tables if that it is too close to 2 TB. Yes, there
are people who really want that much of a file system or maybe even
more. :-) This was not done for a sake of a record.

  Michal