Re: module (kernel) debugging

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 01:54:41 EST

"Amit S. Kale" wrote:

> William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 05:15:48PM -0500, Hari Gadi wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I am new to kernel level development. What are the best ways to debug
> > > runtime kernel (module). Are there any third party tools for debugging
> > > the kernel.
> >
> > http://www.arium.com
> > http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb
> > http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kgdb
>
> SGI's kgdb is for 2.2 kernels only.
> kgdb for 2.4 kernels resides at http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/
> You'll find there scripts for debugging modules with kgdb.

I have 2.5 kgdb stub patches too. Various versions can be discovered
by poking around in http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/

The version I use is a bit thinner than Amit's - I took out the
assertion checks from various places because they cause patching pain.
The assertion mechanism is still there, but the *uses* of it I took
out.

Of course, I may not be feature- or bugfix-current against Amit's
version.