Re: Creating a per-task kernel space for kmap, user pagetables, et al

From: Hugh Dickins (hugh@veritas.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 16:17:31 EST

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:23:41PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > we need to walk pagetables not just from the current task and mapping
> > pagetables there would decrase the user address space too much.
>
> Who sais it should be taken from user address space?
> For example openunix takes a small (I think 4MB) part of the normal KVA
> to be per-process mapped.

Linux would want it to come from the user address space because it has
no precedent for per-process addressing in the kernel address space,
and much simpler to keep it that way.

> > I think you're missing the problem with mainline. There is no shortage
> > of virtual address space, there is a shortage of physical ram in the
> > zone normal. So we cannot keep them in zone normal (and there's no such
> > thing as "mapping in zone_normal"). Maybe I misunderstood what you were
> > saying.
>
> The problem is not the 4GB ZONE_NORMAL but the ~1GB KVA space.
> UnixWare/OpenUnix had huge problems getting all kernel structs for managing
> 16GB virtual into that - on the other hand their struct page is more
> then twice as big as ours..

Which is more good reason to put user-address-space-specific-mappings
(page table mappings; the filepage mapping case is less obvious) in
the user address space (but of course not accessible to the user) -
probably above user stack, since that's already of indefinite size.

Hugh