Re: Severe IRQ problems on Foster (P4 Xeon) system

From: William Lee Irwin III (wli@holomorphy.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 15:24:01 EST

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Martin Wilck wrote:
>> inb(0x20) call is not captured in our protocol, it must occur long after
>> the error. (We saw normal execution of the above code fragment where
>> there is ~1us between the outb and inb, where it is >120us here).

There is/was at least one simulator that shoots the kernel (and
everything else) dead in response to frobbing the PIC while the local
APIC timer etc. are going, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were
some real hardware that did so as well.

(this is the code under if (timer_ack) in do_timer_interrupt())

Cheers,
Bill