Re: reading your email via tcpdump

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@wen-online.de)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 02:46:27 EST

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Urban Widmark wrote:

> I'm guessing that Mike ran tcpdump with no -s parameter. The tcpdump

Correct.

> Like you say, if the tcpdump was running while the email was received on
> Mike's box it is possible that it had that data in some buffer. When it
> later got this message (in another buffer) and tried to decode it, it
> decoded the length the message said it had and simply spewed out random
> bytes from memory.

Hmm. There were other 'packets' containing binary data and ascii which I'm
pretty sure was not part of any network traffic.

I'll repeat this, and post a follow-up if I see anything which is definitely
not received data. For now, I'll assume that it's a harmless tcpdump booboo.

        Thanks,

        -Mike