Re: 2.5.7 make modules_install error (oss)

From: Jaroslav Kysela (perex@suse.cz)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 03:30:51 EST

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, J Sloan wrote:

> Agreed, the oss drivers should _at least_
> be maintained as an alternative, e.g. for
> those of us who want reliable sound with
> *low latency*
>
> <explanation>
> I haven't checked lately, but not too long
> ago the alsa drivers were found to be one
> of the worst sources of latency in the kernel.
> </explanation>

You should really take care about your words. You've not written any
technical reason to say these sentences. We are not aware about any
problems against low-latency. Sure, OSS API emulation is only emulation,
so there is additional layer which can be a bit slower than simplified
native OSS drivers, but using ALSA API, we get really serious latencies
even for multichannel hardware.

I propose to join to our efford and fix (or at least - point to) problems
(if any) in ALSA drivers. Thanks.

                                                Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>