Re: [Lse-tech] Re: 10.31 second kernel compile

From: yodaiken@fsmlabs.com
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 15:25:12 EST

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 12:02:59PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 11:16:16AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > Show me a semi-sane architecture that _matters_ from a commercial angle.
> >
> > I thought we were into this for the pure technical thrill-)
>
> I don't know about you, but to me the difference between technological
> thrill and masturbation is that real technology actually matters to real
> people.

Beyond me. Some kind of sophisticated California thing that us
poor folks in New Mexico can hardly imagine, I suppose.

> I'm not in it for some theoretical good. I want my code to make _sense_.
>
> > > page tables. And I personally like how Hammer looks more than the ia64 VM
> > > horror.
> >
> > No kidding. But I want TLB load instructions.
>
> TLB load instructions + hardware walking just do not make much sense if
> you allow the loaded entries to be victimized.

If you have TLB load, you can sabotage hw walking and at least see whether
you can beat it. I think it could be done, because the OS could adapt to
the characteristics of the process - using perhaps on mm layout for
kde applets and a different one for oracle ...

> Of course, you can have a separate "lock this TLB entry that I give you"
> thing, which can be useful for real-time, and can also be useful for
> having per-CPU data areas.
>
> But then you might as well consider that a BAT register ("block address
> translation", ppc has those too), and separate from the TLB.

Bats are a good start. What I'd like is also a "small unpaged
process base/limit" set of registers or two.