Re: Disgusted with kbuild developers

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 19:08:51 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 12:23:12AM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>>Are you telling that kernel programmers don't rewrite code from scratch?
>>Is that a correct interpretation of "improve the existing system"? Note
>>that "it can't be done" can also imply "cannot reasonable be done".
>>
>>If that's not what you mean, stop reading this mail, drop a line to
>>clarify this and forget this piece of mail.
>>

> That's not what I mean. But it's worthwhile to note that almost all
> "rewrite from scratch" projects really translate into "I'm unwilling to
> learn what the last guy did, and I'm smarter, so I'm going to do what
> I want to do". And that is not what kernel programmers do. They would
> love to be able to do that but it's very rare that doing so makes sense.

I have to call bullshit on this one! :)

The kernel is always getting some module replaced by some other
module. Everything from the VM to the recent ALSA merge that
will kill OSS. This is not to claim it's always a good thing,
just that you can't claim this is not what kernel programmers do...

Hell, we gotta be some of the most egotistical folks around,
it's what keeps us going!

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>