Re: Disgusted with kbuild developers

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 14:54:21 EST

Arjan van de Ven <arjan@pc1-camc5-0-cust78.cam.cable.ntl.com>:
> > But I think you know very well that the usual flow looks like this:
> >
> > 1. You throw a patch over the wall to Linus.
> >
> > 2. Either it shows up in the next release...
> >
> > 3. ...or you hear a vast and echoing silence.
>
> You're telling me Linus never mailed you about splitting up Configure.help ?

That's right. The only time I ever saw Linus express an opinion on
this was in a post on lkml in which he said he didn't like the big
monolithic help file. It didn't seem especially directed to me; I am
not the CML1 maintainer.

But I took it as a suggestion for CML2. I told him I was willing to
do it after CML2 cutover, but was not sure he had considered the
ramifications for maintaining rulebase translations. To this request
for clarification and guidance, I received no reply.