Re: Problems with VM

From: David Lang (david.lang@digitalinsight.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 19:34:33 EST

the linux kernel does not free any memory until someone needs it.

the way things should be happening is that the kernel will keep ~4-5M ram
free to be allocated instantly, and the rest of it will be used as cache.
Some percentage of the cache has been cleaned and is available to be
thrown out quickly if it is needed.

Some Swap space will be used in normal operation (when you start some
programs they use a huge amount of space and force things into swap, the
kernel will leave it there unless it is needed to run)

seeing swap space used is not cause for concern, only worry if you see
bunch of swap activity (lots of disk access) during your normal
operations.

David Lang