Re: Improved ksymoops output

From: Roberto Nibali (ratz@drugphish.ch)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 20:30:16 EST

Hi,

[reduced cc list, since I don't think the rest of the guys are
interested in non-kernel related things]

> As already pointed out, format is horrendous, but prettier format
> requires much more serious hacking in ksymoops sources instead of my
> quick and very dirty tricks.

Yep, I see. After rethinking about this I have to agree with Russell.
And I mean you still can't educate people to read FAQ's and manuals.
Even with your output people that have no knowledge about this output
will the things you mentioned as rationale. If one sees your inital oops
where the hell does he get the information about calling your scripts
without reading some document you must be providing. Well, and if he
needs to read your docu he can as well read oops-tracing.txt. This is my
little world, YMMV.

>>o run faster (5%) ;)
>>o should never have problems when one day there will be a lot of *.c
>> files. In your approach LIST could someday not hold all entries
>> anymore.
>>

>>o simplifies the bash 'regexp' to snip away the '.c' and print the rest
>>

> Hmm... is it faster than original?

I would say so, "b=${a%.*}" is always faster and legible than
                 "l=$((${#a}-2)); b=${a:0:$l}"
in the way it is used in your script.

Maybe not easily measurable but it seems obvious to me and is easier to
read and overall time reported less time used for the whole script to
run. ;)

And the second tiny cleanup regarding regexp was to use "${a:2}" instead
of "${a:2:9999}". It should be an improvement too, if I remember the
bash source correctly. But this is senseless nitpicking. The real speed
improvement you get by avoiding the "LIST=`find -name '*.c' | xargs`".

>>I'm propably going to rewrite the python script in bash too, since I
>>don't run python on my distro (and I do not intend to use 2.5.x anytime
>>soon).
>>

> Care to show the result to me?

Well, if there is a real interest from other parties, I will definitely
spend some time to do it. OTOH, bash's regexp handling isn't as strong
as python's AFAICS so it might be a pain in the ass to do it but this is
getting off-topic.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz