Re: How to check the kernel compile options ?

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 17:02:37 EST

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > The advantage, of course is that if you are executing the kernel,
> > it can give you all the information necessary to recreate a
> > new one from the sources because its .config is embeded into
> > itself. Once you have the ".config" file, you just do `make oldconfig`
> > and you are home free.
>
> But it does no such thing! You not only need the config file, you need the
> source. So you now need to add to the kernel the entire source tree from
> which it was built, or perhaps just a diff file from a kernel.org source,
> which you will suitably compress, of course.

What the F..? You are outa your mind. The PURPOSE is to create a .config
from which one can do a `make oldconfig` and get the same drivers,
modules, etc., that you have in the running kernel.

Of course you need a kernel source-code tree.

[SNIPPED rest of g...]

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.1 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

    was handled in the BIOS, I found that there aren't any.