Re: [patch] sys_sync livelock fix

From: bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 09:09:57 EST

In article <3C69FB14.167B899E@zip.com.au> you write:
| Bill Davidsen wrote:
| >
| > > But we want sync to be useful.
| >
| > No one has proposed otherwise. Unless you think that a possible hang is
| > useful, the questions becomes adding all dirty buffers to the elevator,
| > then (a) waiting or (b) returning. Either satisfies SuSv2.
|
| errr. Bill. I wrote the patch. Please take this as a sign
| that I'm not happy with the current implementation :)

Sorry, I had been sitting at a keyboard for about 16 hours when I typed
that, and didn't look at the sender... Lot's of other typos in there as
well, sign of need for 3-4 hours sleep.

But I think sync(2) as a checkpoint, write out all dirty at the moment
of sync call, is fine and deterministic, and all that.

That serves the shutdown case as well, if there is a process in some
unkillable state, but somehow still writing, at least the system will go
down. I'm not sure any process not killable with kill -9 is able to do
anything, but I won't bet on it.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc