Re: [bk patch] Make cardbus compile in -pre4

From: Padraig Brady (padraig@antefacto.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 06:59:54 EST

Padraig Brady wrote:
> William Stearns wrote:
>
>> Good day, Larry,

>>> We don't, but we can, and we should. "bk relink tree1 tree2" seems
>>> like the right interface.
>>>
>>> Right now we aren't too worried about the disk space, the data is
>>> sitting on a pair of 40GB drives and we're running the trees in gzip
>>> mode, so they
>>> are 75MB each. But yes, it's a good idea, we should do it, and probably
>>> should figure out some way to make it automatic. I'll add it to the
>>> (ever growing) list, thanks.
>>>

>> Larry, I'll save you the time.
>> "freedups -a -d /some/dir [/other/dirs]" will look for identical
>> files (the -d requires dates to be equal as well as the content) and
>> hardlink them. It's not terribly efficient, but works marvelously
>> well. Run it from cron once a week or so, perhaps?
>> http://www.stearns.org/freedups/
>> Cheers,
>> - Bill
>

> Not terribly efficient? That's a bit of an understatement :-)
> The findup component of fslint is MUCH quicker, and it's
> also written in bash. A quick test against two 2.4.17 trees gives:
>
> 1m36s for ./findup /usr/src/linux[12] | ./fstool/mergeDup
> 18m17s for ./freedups -a /usr/src/linux[12]
>
> Note mergeDup was a quick hack and took 1m30s of findup's time!
> I'm going to rewrite it in python ASAP to help with this.
>
> You can download the current version of fslint from
> http://developers.antefacto.net/~padraig/fslint.tar.gz

OK I've updated fslint which can be downloaded @
http://www.iol.ie/~padraiga/fslint/fslint-1.11.tar.gz
To merge 2 linux trees you do: ./findup -m /usr/src/linux[12]
This will take about 37 seconds (note freedups takes 15
minutes to do the same). Note be careful that your editor
handles hardlinked files as you expect.

Padraig.