Re: Quick question on Software RAID support.

From: Rob Landley (landley@trommello.org)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 21:19:54 EST

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 08:45 pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> > 1) Does the Software RAID-5 support automatic detection
> > of a drive failure? How?
>
> It sees the commands failing on the underlying controller. Set up a
> software raid 5 and just yank a drive out of a bay if you want to test it
>
> > 2) Has Linux Software RAID-5 been used in the Enterprise environment
> > to support redundancy by any real-world networking company
> > or this is just a tool used by individuals to provide redundancy on
> > their own PCs in the labs and at home?
>
> Dunno about that. I just hack code 8)
> -

I've seen a 20-way Linux software raid used to capture uncompressed HTDV
video in realtime, as part of an HTDV video editing system for which I
believe the client was billed six figures.

That was SCSI. (Well, dual qlogic fiber channel controllers that pretended
to be scsi.) I've also encountered a couple companies selling 14-drive
enclosures (IDE, they rackmount in a 3U or 4U) that are turned into big
software raid systems for data hosting.

And of course, you might want to talk to IBM and their global file system
stuff, and their implementation of the logical volume management stuff last
year (what was not the one that Linus eventually went with, I believe...)

Does this count?

(I kind of doubt IBM, HP, or Sun are insterested in tools for individual
end-users...)

Rob