Re: Interface operative status detection

From: David L. Parsley (parsley@roanoke.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 09:52:12 EST

Andi,

> In short - Linux doesn't have this feature because it's not needed.
> If your routing protocol relies on link state checking without other
> probing it's broken. Zebra isn't.

Link state checking _would_ be nice, though, for stuff like laptops
using dhcp. Right now, if I start my laptop without being plugged into
the network, I have to wait for DHCP to time out before it'll finish
booting - about 1 minute. (yech!)

Is there a good way for a dhcp daemon to find out whether the laptop is
connected to the network or not? It'd be really sweet if dhcpcd could:

- down the interface and remove routes whenever the network cable was
unplugged
- wait for the interface to get link beat again, and send a new request

This would greatly enhance desktop usability. I'd be happy to do the
dhcpcd hacking if the right kernel interfaces were available.

regards,
        David

--
David L. Parsley