Re: faking time

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 01:00:32 EST

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:49:39 +0000, SA products wrote:

>I want to fake the time returned by the time() system call so that for a
>limited number
>of user space programs the time can be set to the future or the past
>without affecting
>other applications and without affecting system time-- Ideally I would
>like to install a
>loadable module to accomplish this- Any hints ? Any starting points?

        If you're doing this to defeat a program's security or licensing scheme, let
me warn you that there are many ways this could be detected. Inconsistencies
in different time functions, filesystem times that are way ahead of system
time, times built into networking protocols (and thus received from remote
machines), detection of times before other run time, and so on.

        DS