Re: thread_info implementation

From: David Mosberger (davidm@hpl.hp.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 20:36:48 EST

>>>>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:32:36 -0800 (PST), "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> said:

  David> From: David Mosberger <davidm@hpl.hp.com> Date: Mon, 11
  David> Feb 2002 17:21:40 -0800

  David> The task pointer lives in the thread pointer register
  David> (r13), so it's trivial to address off of it.

  DaveM> So why don't you put the, oh my gosh, "THREAD INFO POINTER"
  DaveM> into the thread pointer register instead? That is what I did
  DaveM> and everything transforms naturally, you will need to make
  DaveM> zero modifications to assembly code besides the offset macro
  DaveM> names and that you can even script :-)

Umh, perhaps because it adds one level of indirection to every access
of "current"??

        --david