RFC: Semaphore behavior

From: Balbir Singh (balbir_soni@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 19:22:50 EST

I wanted to clarify my understanding of the behavior of semaphores
on the i386 architecture, as I understand it.

1. I grab a semaphore and I am open to accepting signals
   (down_interruptible)
2. I am interrupted by a user process using ctrl-C or some other
   method of signal delivery.
3. After this point, I cannot grab *ANY* semaphore using
   (down_interruptible), since the semaphore implementation checks for
   pending signals and if there are signals pending, it does not
   grant me the semaphore.

So, the only option I have after (2) to use down_interruptible again
is

a. Flush the signal.
b. Handle the signal.

Please cc your replies to me