Re: [bk patch] Make cardbus compile in -pre4

From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 18:45:55 EST

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 04:36:03PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> One thing that I've noticed (got my first linux-2.5 clone last night) is
> that the kernel build process is somewhat broken by the fact that not
> everything that you need to build is checked out of the repository by
> make.
>
> It appears to handle .c files ok, but it failed for all of the .h files.
> I take it this means that gcc doesn't know anything about SCCS, and it
> would also appear that make is not properly checking dependencies for
> these files, or it would have checked them out, right?

It's a 'feature' of the dependancy setup of the kernel. bk -r get -q
will checkout all of the files everywhere, and the build _should_ work
(there's been times autogenerated files were in the kernel and thus
broke building from a bk repo).

> Also, things like "make menuconfig" and such also fail (because they are
> doing stuff within scripts that have no concept of SCCS or BK). Will
> the new kernel build system take any of this into account?

I don't think they do now, but it wouldn't be too hard I'd think. If of
course the files needed to build/run the tools get checked out :)

> I would prefer if we only checked out as much as we need (instead of
> doing something like 'bk -r edit' which will use up a lot of space in
> each clone for architectures and drivers which I don't need).

Don't -r edit, -r get. You can go and selectively clean out some dirs,
but in short, no.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/