Re: [patch] larger kernel stack (8k->16k) per task

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 11:59:47 EST

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> If you need even more in your code (I assume you do otherwise you wouldn't
> have done the work) then I really suggest you take a long hard look and fix
> the obvious bugs or the design....

Arjan, I completely agree with you, but please do not overlook one obvious
thing -- sometimes (well, most of the time) in order to fix those stack
corruption issues you _first_ need to apply this patch and then it becomes
obvious that the reason for this "random" corruption is the stack
overflow. A kernel panic is not shouting like "I am a stack overflow!"
(yes, I know of Andrea's IKD of course, but sometimes it is preferrable to
apply a small non-intrusive patch instead)

So, I found this patch useful at least for debugging. Moreover, I think it
would be very useful to have it in Linus' kernel as a CONFIG_ option so
that if people complain about random memory corruption then they can try
to reproduce it with larger stack and then (with aid of /proc/stack) the
offender is found and fixed. I cc'd Alan; if he thinks this is a bad idea
I would be interested to know why.

Regards,
Tigran