Re: [SOLUTION] Re: Fw: 2.4.18-pre9: iptables screwed?

From: Stelian Pop (stelian.pop@fr.alcove.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 05:12:18 EST

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 10:55:48AM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:

> > > I get the following error with iptables on 2.4.18-pre9:
> > >
> > > sudo iptables-restore < /etc/sysconfig/iptables
> > > iptables-restore: libiptc/libip4tc.c:384: do_check: Assertion
> > > `h->info.valid_hooks == (1 << 0 | 1 << 3)' failed.
> > > Abort (core dumped)
>
> The code you are quoting is only defined if debugging is compiled into
> the iptables package. The default distribution of the iptables package
> does _not_ ship with debugging enabled.

Right, upon further analysis the redhat RPM is overriding COPT_FLAGS
and removes the -DNDEBUG from the compile line.

> We always want to make sure that nobody needs to update the iptables
> package during the 2.4.x stable kernel series. Because of this (sane)
> policy, we are keeping back a whole bunch of changes. We can't just
> silently abandon backwards compatibility.

Hey, you keeped backwards compatibility _only_ for those compiling
the non debug version of the package. I believe this remains however
a half-bug...

Stelian.

--
Stelian Pop <stelian.pop@fr.alcove.com>