Re: Fix for duplicate /proc entries

From: Dave Jones (davej@suse.de)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 13:11:08 EST

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 09:52:55PM -0600, Brent Cook wrote:

> I think that I have found a problem with proc_dir_entry(). It seems to
> allow multiple /proc entries to be created with the same name, without
> returning a NULL pointer. I asked the folks on #kernelnewbies, and they
> said that perhaps this is a feature. In either case, I believe that the
> following patch fixes the issue by checking if a proc entry already exists
> before creating it. This mirrors the behavior of remove_proc_entry, which
> checks for the presense of a proc entry before deleting it.

 The only instance I've seen of this happen is the acpi code.
 Whilst the patch is good in the sense that it allows things like
 /proc/acpi/button to become usable, the correct fix would be
 to fix ACPI.

 Maybe printk'ing a "tried to create duplicate xxx proc entry"
 would be useful, so we at least don't paper over problems and
 make them harder to find later.