Re: A modest proposal -- We need a patch penguin

From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 10:12:56 EST

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 09:09:06AM +0100, Christoph Rohland wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > it would see how far back it can go with an automatic merge and add
> > "d" at the _furthest_ point possible.
>
> No, I would prefer a way where the developer gives the merge point and
> bk checks if it merges cleanly. Else it is too easy to have merge
> points which are semantically wrong.

Well, provided the 'backmerge' respects tag, or certain kinds of tags
(ie the tree is 'soft tagged' as v2.5.4-pre3, v2.5.4-pre2, v2.5.4-pre1
and 'hard tagged' as v2.5.3. 'backmerge' will attempt to move a change
back only as far as v2.5.3, since v2.5.3 had an API change here.

Or the other option, since this isn't the _default_ behavior, but an
optional one is to give backmerge a 'don't go past tag' since the
developer should be aware that the API changed at v2.5.3 or v2.5.4-pre2
and even tho the change might apply cleanly further back, since it's
updating the driver to the new API, don't try anyways.)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/