Re: A modest proposal -- We need a patch penguin

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 21:54:04 EST

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Chris Ricker wrote:

> We're agreed that the files themselves are the best indicator of where to
> route patches, and that MAINTAINERS isn't useful for much besides deciding
> who should get IPO offers ;-). What I'm wondering is where I, as someone
> who is listed in some of the Documentation/* stuff as its maintainer, should
> be sending patches. You want a hierarchy, and I think that's perfectly
> reasonable, but I have no idea who the layer of the hierarchy between me and
> you is....

Ahh..

I had the same problem with Documentation/Configure.help, as you saw.

My solution in that case (when the issue came to a flame-fest) was to just
split up the documentation - which makes it a whole lot more maintainable
for everybody, and also makes it fairly explicit who maintains it for most
cases.

Basically, I'd really like documentation to go with the thing it
documents. This is something where the docbook stuff helped noticeably.

                        Linus