Re: A modest proposal -- We need a patch penguin

From: Patrick Mochel (mochel@osdl.org)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 14:24:01 EST

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Stuart Young wrote:
> Perhaps what we need is a patch maintenance system? Now I'm not talking
> CVS, I'm talking about something that is, in reality, pretty simple.
> Something that does the following:

Ah, the old Patch Management Problem. It's like an old friend (or a bad
rash).

AFAIK, something like this was first proposed here:

http://lists.insecure.org/linux-kernel/2000/Sep/2468.html

At that time, we were in the midst of the 2.4.0-test? series. Many things
were unstable and/or volatile. Linus was receiving an ungodly number of
patches, and releasing a new -pre patch about every day.

One of the main problems was that many patches simply didn't apply. What
a patch was diffed against would become obsolete so quickly, that many
patches were rendered useless by the time they were even read. And, there
was the same limitation concerning Linus's ability and desire to reply to
every single email.

The concept is very simple and described well in the email. So, I will not
expound on it here. Unfortunately, the project was dropped internally.

The problem has come up a few times in the last few months. Several people
have expressed interest in having something like it. Some already do.
Several people have said they were working on something like it.
Unfortunately, I think most of those people got distracted with their
other full-time jobs or more intersting work.

I brought the topic up here at OSDL a few months ago for use both
internally and externally. Also, with the notion of integrating our STP
(Scalable Test Platform). We've had several discussions about it, what it
would look like, and how it would work. We've also had the chance to talk
with a few of the other kernel maintainers in the area (face-to-face
meetings really do a long way).

The conclusions were this:

Is it necessary? No.
Could it be useful? Yes.
Would people use it? Probably.
Would everyone use it? No.
Would Linus use it? Probably Not.

Which is all pretty obvious. You can't please everyone.

We're going to develop a system internally and are willing to host a
system for the rest of the world to use. We're not looking to design a
be-all, end-all solution. Basically, just a system that can automate
things like applying patches and compiling.

If a patch succeeds, it then goes to the maintainer to which it was sent.
The maintainer can then accept or reject the patch. Either with
explanation or not. The submitter can then track what patches were
accepted.

Submitted patches can also go to a public mailing list and/or exported via
a public (read: web) interface. Of course, there should be ways to
override the publicity for OOB patches and sensitive items.

Writing the software is really not that difficult. But, we want something
that people like and can use, as well as modular and extensible. So, we're
aiming for simplicity and modularity.

So, the obvious question is 'So, where is it at now?'. Not much further
than the conceptualizing stage. The two people actually writing the
software are a bit over-subscribed ATM, though we do have some pretty
pictures.

I'm currently in the waiting queue for a Sourceforge project. Once that is
live, there will be a mailing list to which the discussion can be moved
and kept alive. Anyone and everyone interested is welcome to submit their
ideas and suggestions. Via the SF project, we will submit our designs and
post our progress on the system.

If you prefer a more private forum, feel free to email me and/or the Man
with the Plan: Nathan Dabney at smurf@osdl.org.

        -pat