Re: Athlon Optimization Problem

From: Calin A. Culianu (calin@ajvar.org)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 14:56:04 EST

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Steven Hassani wrote:

> I'm running a compaq presario 700us: duron 950 mhz on a via mobo
> (vt8363/8365 etc). When running kernel 2.4.17 with athlon optimizations,
> the box has kernel panics, segmentation faults, and other errors.
> When setting to K6 though, the box appears to be stable. So does the fix
> included in pci-pc.c not work with my system? Has anyone else been
> getting these errors after using this fix? Thanks.
> Steve

The new pci-pc.c fix is not in kernel 2.4.17. You can try the 2.4.18-pre
kernels, or you can try applying the patch youself to the 2.4.17 source
tree.

After you do that, one easy way to tell if the fix is being applied to your system is
to look at your dmesg output and see if something like "Trying to stomp on
VIA Northbridge bug..." is one of the early bootup messages.....

I am attaching the pci-pc.c patch to this email. It may or may not help
you. There are also other issues with Athlons/Durons and AGP, that kernel
developers are now working on.. so it could also be one of those issues.
:)

-Calin