Re: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable

From: José Luis Domingo López (jdomingo@internautas.org)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 14:47:00 EST

On Thursday, 03 January 2002, at 20:14:42 -0600,
M.H.VanLeeuwen wrote:

> Here is what I've run thus far. I'll add nfs file copy into the mix also...
> System: SMP 466 Celeron 192M RAM, running KDE, xosview, and other minor apps.

I applied your little patch "vmscan.patch.2.4.17.c" to a plain 2.4.17
source tree, recompiled, and tried it. Swap usage is _much_ less than in
original 2.4.17: hardware is a Pentium166 with 64 MB RAM and 75 MB
swap, and my workload includes X 4.1.x, icewm, nightly Mozilla, several
rxvt, gkrellm, some MP3 listening via XMMS, xchat, several links web
browsers and a couple of little daemons runnig.

I have not done scientific measures on swap usage, but with your patch
it seems caches don't grow too much, and swap is usually 10-20 MB lower
than using plain 2.4.17. I have also observed in /proc/meminfo that
"Inactive:" seems to be much lower with your patch.

If someone wants more tests/numbers done/reported, just ask.

Hope this helps.

--
José Luis Domingo López
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo AT internautas DOT   org  => Spam at your own risk