2.4.17 oops - ext2/ext3 fs corruption (?)

From: Eric (eric-linuxkernel@dragonglen.net)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 13:45:42 EST

I seem to be having a reoccurring problem with my Red Hat 7.2 system
running kernel 2.4.17. Four times now, I have seen the kernel generate an
oops. After the oops, I find that one of file systems is no longer sane.
The effect that I see is a Segmentation Fault when things like ls or du
some directory (the directory is never the same). Also, when the system
is going down for a reboot, it is unable to umount the file system. The
umount command returns a "bad lseek" error.

The first time this happened, it resulted in catastrophic corruption of
/usr and I had to reinstall. At this time, /usr was an ext2 file system.
When I reinstalled, I took the opportunity to reformat all the file
systems, except /home, as ext3.

The second and third times I saw this problem on my /home (ext2) file
system. Fortunately, there was no corruption of the file system after
rebooting the box. I do not have the oops generated by the kernel when
these events occurred.

The fourth time was on /usr (ext3) and did not result in corruption.
Although, a read-only check of the file system before rebooting showed
files with duplicate blocks. I collected the 2 oops logs I found in dmesg
and ran them through ksymoops. There are quite a few warnings, so I don't
know if they are any good.

I also included dmesg in case that is helpful. If any other information
is required, I would be glad to provide it. Any suggestions on what I
could do to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric