Re: 1gb RAM + 1gb SWAP + make -j bzImage = OOM

From: Phil Oester (kernel@theoesters.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 20:24:18 EST

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 04:42:43PM -0800, Nicholas Knight wrote:
> The one catch is that -j is specified without a number.

[snip superfluous description of what 'make -j' implies]

> number, your system is dead. A user issue because it seems the user is
> using the option without fully comprehending the consequences.

eh? Trust me - i understand the implications of make -j. It's not an unreasonable test, especially on a machine with 1gb ram/swap. For reference, read Rik's email regarding his reverse VM patch:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101007711817127&w=2

Might be enlightening

-Phil