Re: 2.5.2-pre7 still missing bits of kdev_t

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 14:24:24 EST

    From viro@math.psu.edu Fri Jan 4 19:11:10 2002

    On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > As mentioned to viro on IRC, I think init_special_inode should take
> > major and minor arguments, to nudge the filesystem implementors into
> > thinking that major and minor should be treated separately, and be
> > given additional thought as to how they are encoded on-disk.
>
> Yes. If somebody sends me a patch, I'll apply it in a jiffy.

    Guys, wait a minute with that. There is a related issue (->i_rdev
    becoming dev_t) and I'd rather see it handled first.

Those are independent issues.

If init_special_inode() has major,minor arguments instead of
the present rdev, then the line

        inode->i_rdev = to_kdev_t(rdev);

just becomes

        inode->i_rdev = mk_kdev(major,minor);

I consider every occurrence of mk_kdev() and of to_kdev_t()
a flaw in the kernel, so this change does not make things
better or worse inside init_special_inode().

Andries