Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 14:05:38 EST

Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>:
> And of course, there will be a huge amount of false positives, because
> all the new chipsets have an ISA bridge built into the southbridge chip
> and it is there even when no ISA slots are present.

Yeah. That's what makes the lspci approach unusable for my purposes.

The approach I want to take is this:

1. Get guaranteed access to the DMI data, either via a /{proc,sys}/dmi
   or /var/run/dmi initialized at boot time.

2. Develop an exception list of mobos that have ISA slots that don't
   show up under DMI.

My logic would then be: if the box has PCI, and DMI shows no ISA slots,
and the motherboard is not on the exception list, then suppress ISA
questions.

This would be a kluge, but it would have the advantage that the exception
list is finite and can be expected to stop growing.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun. -- R. Buckminster Fuller - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/