Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

From: Gábor Lénár (lgb@lgb.hu)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 13:41:12 EST

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 07:06:38PM +0100, Alex wrote:
> Okay then lemme try to give you a reallife case... I *can* compile the
> kernel perfectly alright, but let's face it, it can easily end up as a
> medieval pain in the ***. The 2.2.20+reiserfs patch that I managed to
> compile didnt swallow the reiserfs that my Suse7.3 linux actually
> installed already. Well that's beyond ISA in this case but then here we
> have a lot of old ISA-ethernetcards, for example, that I'd just simply
> like to work properly....
>
> Let's face the bare fact : Linux life could be *way* more comfortable...
> This stupid Win2k or even *brrr* XP ^H^H^H detects all the hardware
> fine when installing. Even ISA. So should Linux.

A big no-no, IMHO. Linux is a UNIX like system. I like Linux, I like UNIX.
And I want my UNIX to ONLY do what I would like. If I say that there's
an SB Live, and compile&install ALSA/OSS/whatever for sound card, it's right.
If my OS want to do it without any request by me it's wrong! Hey this is
not a child-toy, it's Linux. IMHO.

- Gabor