Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 22:18:45 EST

Dave Jones <davej@suse.de>:
> Go down the DMI path, and get it right _sometimes_, or take a zero.
> Getting it right sometimes is likely to do more harm than good.

Not in this case. If the DMI read fails, the worst-case result is the
user sees some ISA extra questions.

> Crap. I'm implying that there should be a learning curve to everything
> no matter how small it may be. You're trying to remove the curve
> altogether.

Damn straight. Not that I think that's necessarily 100% achievable, but
it's the right way to aim.

> And write a book perchance ? SCNR 8-)

It's happened before... :-)

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave. -- "Political Disquisitions", a British republican tract of 1774-1775 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/