Re: How can one get System.map w/o vmlinux?

From: David Golden (david.golden@oceanfree.net)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 15:34:46 EST

I've often thought that an alternate scheme would be vaguely
"neater", just have a boot directory with per-version subdirectories,
and a single symlink "current" to the one you want to use.
I've never particularly had an urge to try to use one kernel version's
System.map and possibly initrd.img with another version :-)

No doubt there's a reason for not doing it this way, it's
probably been done to death years ago on lkml,
and personally, I don't find the current minor symlink tangle
much harder, but I only seem have 3 or so kernels in /boot at any one time -
I can imagine that having lots of kernels, system.maps and initrds all
in one directory would get tiresome with the current way, but would
be relatively painless like this:

/boot/2.2.20/vmlinuz
/boot/2.2.20/System.map
/boot/2.2.20/initrd.img