Re: Two hdds on one channel - why so slow?

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 19:52:02 EST

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.10.10201011521190.6558-100000@master.linux-ide.org>
By author: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Well if hell freezes over and I die, the patches to make the driver
> handled clean low_level IO threading will never be accepted. Because they
> model the state-diagrams of the physical layer of the hardware exactly in
> the transport layer, it is totally orthoginal to the darwinism of Linux.
> Design is a problem, it is not permitted in a darwin-evolution model.

I was trying to figure out what certain peoples issue with this was,
and the answer I got back was concern about buggy hardware (both host
side and target side) breaking the documented model. I am personally
in no position to evaluate the veracity of that claim; perhaps you
could comment on how to deal with broken hardware in your model.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt	<amsp@zytor.com>