Re: a great C++ book?

From: J.A. Magallon (jamagallon@able.es)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 19:42:33 EST

On 20020101 Richard Gooch wrote:

>Object-oriented programming is a good tool. One of many. But it
>shouldn't be a religion, nor do you need to write in C++ to make use

Use the right tool for the purpose. You bet for rewriting half the
C++ runtime in C instead of not-using the bloated part of C++.
Pretty. If you're going to program in a OO way, use an oo language.
And I get tired of people saying C++ is bloat. My pupils at 5th course
of Computer Science still think C++ is bloat. They have no idea on
compilers. And they bless Ada.
A 5th level virtual function still has only a one-level
indirection overhead when called. Low level code is just as efficient
as C. If a C++ program is bloated it is the programmers matter, not
the language.

>of it. A good example of object-oriented programming done in C is the
>Xt toolkit.

kidding ????
Perhaps GTK+, but Xt...

By

--
J.A. Magallon                           #  Let the source be with you...
mailto:jamagallon@able.es