Re: [patch] Re: Framebuffer...Why oh Why???

From: Marius Gedminas (mgedmin@centras.lt)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 09:31:31 EST

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 04:41:19PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> X11 isn't always an improvement. I've got an X hang on my laptop (about once
> a week) that freezes the keyboard and ignores mouse clicks. Numlock doesn't
> change the keyboard LEDs, CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE won't do a thing, and although I
> can ssh in and run top (and see the CPU-eating loop), kill won't take X down
> and kill-9 leaves the video display up so the console that thinks it's in
> text mode, but isn't, is still useless. (And that's assuming I'm plugged
> into the network and have another box around to ssh in from...)

I sometimes get a similar problem on my desktop when switching between
text and X11 virtual consoles. Keyboard + mouse die (PS/2 counter
becomes stuck according to /proc/interrupts). ssh followed by chvt
helps.

Marius Gedminas

--
Of course I use Microsoft. Setting up a stable unix network is no challenge ;p