Re: Why would a valid DVD show zero files on Linux?

From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 00:34:43 EST

Cameron Simpson wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 09:21:24AM -0500, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce@obviously.com> wrote:
> | Alan Cox wrote:
> | > The autodetection is working. Your DVD has a UDF file system on it and a
> | > blank iso9660 one.
> | Understood. However, why can't that combination "just work"? Changing
> | /etc/fstab every time I switch between sticking in a CD-ROM and DVD-ROM is not cool.
> | Certainly that "other operating system" does not make me do that.
>
> I do this via autofs, and just say /mnt/dvd when I want UDF and /mnt/cdrom
> when I want a CDROM. It does depend on having my eyes open when I stick
> the medium in the drive...
>
> Of course, this merely bypasses the autodetection.

Ok, I admit, I do the same thing. I manually mount. But let's get in
the head of a user, why should they care what type of 5 inch round shiny
thing they just inserted?

Are there any cases where udf filesystems are present on cdrom's that should
be read as iso9660? Someone mentioned it's a hard heuristic to figure out
which fake filename the empty iso9660 filesystem uses. How about, instead,
pick the larger of the two filesystems if both are present.

                        -Bryce